Thursday, October 13, 2011

Roadtrip: Day 4

FYI: These posts are probably getting increasingly boring as I get increasingly more exhausted. Today we left Amarillo around 8AM and hit the road! I started off driving today, and man it was a struggle. I was so tired from the past few days of travel! The scenery didn't help much either, because there was no civilization for miles! We arrived in New Mexico a few hours into our drive.
New Mexico!
I was surprised by the scenery in New Mexico. Most of it was flat but we started to see some rock formations and canyons, which were really neat! We also saw a lot of indian communities, and adobe style houses on the side of the highway!
Rock formation in New Mexico.
We stopped right outside of Albuquerque for lunch. Random known fact: High School Musical takes places in Albuquerque. We drove across the entire state of New Mexico and soon found our way to Arizona. After lunch, Mom was behind the wheel while I dozed off in the passenger seat. The scenery must have been nice, because she tried to wake me up a few times from the drooling coma I was in. No luck for Mom, because I was a zombie. When I did wake up, we saw beautiful canyons and rock formations!
Arizona Rock Formations.
The closer we got to Flagstaff, mountains and forests started to pop up. We saw signs for a meteor crater, which would have been neat to see, but it was a few miles from the highway. I would say the highlight of the trip today was seeing an actual cowboy on horseback! Too bad I didn't grab the camera in time! After about 9 hours on the road we reached Flagstaff.
Large and in charge mountain near Flagstaff.
Flagstaff has some really beautiful scenery! Tomorrow we drive through the desert on our way to Barstow California. It is supposed to be blazing hot tomorrow, so we are going to leave at the butt crack of dawn to bypass the heat. We stocked up on water in snacks, just in case we get stuck out on the Mojave. I am excited to get to Cali tomorrow! After Barstow the drive to LA is only 2 hours away!

Next Stop: Barstow, California
5 hours and 30 minutes





1 comment:

  1. I wish you could have driven through Utah! the scenery is beautiful. And it would have been fun to see you!!! Highschool Musical takes place in Albuquerque, but did you know it was actually filmed at East High School in Salt Lake City? And the auditorium was Murray Highschool in Murray, Utah - that was my old roommates school! Just another little fact :) I'm so excited for you! You're so close! Mitch served his 2 year LDS mission in Barstow. Just a forewarning....Barstow is a super ghetto and ugly desert lol...So the scenery might not get any better until you reach LA. Oh, and if you drive through Cerritos at all I used to live there! :) Was Arizona pretty hot? My sisters both live there in Phoenix and Scottsdale. I visited them in June when it was scorching and I thought I was gonna die.

    ReplyDelete